Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream
2 cups HALF AND HALF
1 cup WHIPPING CREAM
1 cup SUGAR
1 VANILLA BEAN, split and scraped or 2 teaspoons VANILLA EXTRACT
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough
1/4 cup TAPIOCA STARCH
1/4 cup BROWN RICE FLOUR
1/4 cup SORGHUM FLOUR
1/4 cup Tablespoons POTATO STARCH
1/4 teaspoon XANTHAN GUM
1/4 teaspoon BAKING SODA
1/4 teaspoon SALT
1/4 cup SUGAR
1/4 cup SAFFLOWER OIL
1/3 cup PURE MAPLE SYRUP
1 1/2 teaspoons VANILLA
1/2-3/4 cup CHOCOLATE CHIPS
1. Combine all ingredients (including the bean and its pulp) in a large saucepan and cook over medium heat. Use a candy thermometer and bring the mixture to 170 degrees F, stirring occasionally. If you don't have a thermometer, bring the mixture barely to a simmer and remove from the heat as soon as a bubble hits the surface.
2. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly. Remove the hull of the vanilla bean, pour mixture into lidded container and refrigerate mixture overnight to mellow flavors and let cool completely.
3. Make the cookie dough by stirring together all the dry ingredients and mixing in the wet. Fold in the chocolate chips and let stand for about 10 minutes to thicken.
4. Freeze mixture in ice cream maker according to unit's instructions until the volume has increased by 1/2 to 3/4 times and reaches a soft serve consistency. At this point, add the cookie dough by either dropping in rolled balls, spooning in large chunks, or folding it in after removing the ice cream.
5. Quickly spoon the ice cream back into a lidded container and harden in the freezer at least 1 hour before serving.